It's Secret Recipe Club time again! If not for SRC, my blog would be already dead and gone. After two more months of SRC, I will be taking a few months off though. I need some time away from the blog to focus on the family and while I will miss blogging, I know I will be back.
This month, I was super excited to be assigned the fabulous blog Camilla's Culinary Adventures! Oh man - Camilla really is a star. She manages a fabulously loaded blog on which she posts amazing recipes very regularly, she runs a beautiful family and she is also our Group B moderator here at SRC. I need lessons from this lady on time management! Hats off to you, Camilla. You're an inspiration!
I honestly had such a hard time picking a recipe this time around. She has so many recipes in almost every style of cooking. I was tempted to pick a bread recipe, or a Madeleine recipe (I adore Madeleines) or one of her amazing cupcake recipes since my daughter has been nagging me for cupcakes. Finally, I ended up with a breakfast recipe when i needed to make a quick batch of scones for someone. I remembered seeing this recipe on Camilla's site and went back to it.
The recipe is originally strawberries and cream but I didn't have strawberries in the house at the time, and so I made it with blueberries instead. I'm sure it would have been amazing with strawberries though! Next time!
Berries and Cream Scones
Adapted from Camilla's Culinary Adventures
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 tsp salt
8 tbsp unsalted butter, cold
2/3 cup double cream
1 large egg
1/2-3/4 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
1 tbsp double cream (for the top)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. Stir well to combine.
3. Add the butter and using either a pastry cutter or just the tips of your finger, work the butter into the dry mixture until the mixture resembles chunky breadcrumbs. You could even do this in the food processor.
4. Add the cream and egg and gently bring the dough together.
5. Once the dough is formed, add the blueberries and be very gentle to disperse the berries. Take care not to bruise the berries too much.
6. Transfer the dough onto your prepared baking sheet and pat into a circle that's about 1/2 inch thick. Slice into wedges and drizzle the top with the reserved cream.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until the scones are lightly golden and raised.
8. Serve warm drizzled with a glaze of your choice or with cream and jam.
These scones were different from the ones I've made before and we all loved them - especially my husband! The base and edges had a crispy cookie like texture that we couldn't get enough of, and the middle was soft and crumbly, and as Camilla mentioned that her son noticed, - the flavour was intensely buttery and delicious!
Thank you for this amazing base recipe for scones Camilla. You can bet I'll be using this to make many amazing combinations for years to come! Please go check out Camilla's blog and I promise you a treasure trove of recipes that you can't stop bookmarking!
Don't forget to check out the other awesome SRC recipes below!
Until next time :)